Beginning of May *(Close Enough)
As we always begin, Welcome to all the new subscribers, especially those at N1M and those that found their way via Drooble. Our own website is close to finished but not up yet. I've given up projecting a launch date. This site is our new focus for exposing our current projects along with our history. More details on our current projects are going up on our Patreon site link. If you are new, a standard statement of our philosophy and how it creates value for you is always included at the end of this newsletter. This first paragraph or something very similar will begin each newsletter.
Thank you for hanging out with us. We appreciate the time you spend listening and adding us to your playlists and recommending us to your friends. It means a lot.
It looks as though we are losing our lifetime home and office space this year and so the work of discovery of old material is both sped up and hindered. We simply can't afford the ongoing cost of maintenance along with a newly acquired mortgage to buy out the other heirs of my late father's estate. We live and work in a home built along with the beginning of Canada in 1867. The old farmhouse (now in an urban area) has many problems but great potential. Patreon donations have begun but are no where near sufficient to allow us to do what we do and take on the property as well.
In the face of this adversity, there are gems being rediscovered. There has also come clarity on next steps as we consider what the change will mean. Old relationships are coming back and we are releasing new material again. This is be a stream of new stuff talked about in the last newsletter. kinAxis, a band that features Bill Compeau is the first track we're posting up today. Bill played guitar on an album for Jael that came out in 1990 and has done work mastering old projects. He has just signed on to do the mix and mastering for the new Jael album. This has not been fully financed but is well underway. I hope to have definite news on it's release soon.
There is another way all of you can help financially without making a donation or buying music and merch (which is admittedly still very hard to do. That still requires an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org and a notice via N1M, Facebook or Drooble to let me know to look for the email... or maybe find something on ebay.... you get the picture. Things are hectic around here. But the family does a form of culinary art that might just be something you're looking for anyway. Here, https://www.facebook.com/SweetSomethingsChocolate is our family bread and butter with a huge experimental culinary art focus. Think 76 flavors of fudge, 19 flavors of shortbread, exquisite vegan, gluten free, keto, sugar free, special needs baking… and supporting us in any venue of course allows us to do more of everything we do.
We are also making available some Teaze T-shirts (White or Pink logo on black), 3 re-released Teaze CD’s including a UK import from Teaze and Brian’s Solo CD, (Traitors Gate) with T-shirts and caps. Also available is a JLT Records T-Shirt and cap while supplies last and a T-Shirt from the vaults. The shirt is from the lost Jael album “911” and includes the awesome cover art by “Figgie” of Figgie Shoes fame and is available in Adult and kids sizes. Write us a message via Jael on NumberOneMusic or Drooble, and ask for details and I’ll send pics and prices.
As mentioned in the last newsletter Jael came across some very old tapes of session outtakes and concerts in a vault. Things we thought were long gone are being evaluated. More and more stuff is coming to the surface and some will no doubt be re-released. The big issue is that there is a ton of new stuff coming and money is the thing that always applies the brakes. You can help with a Patreon subscription at https://www.patreon.com/jael
Old Jael projects can be sampled on Drooble where a number of Jael historic releases are being featured. Here's the link for Drooble. https://drooble.com/jael.musicman We are very excited to be releasing many old and new projects with current and past friends of the label this upcoming year. Still to come is a new rap release from KtdaG. Maxwell AU will have a new release by next month, Ian McGregor Smith will have a jazz album out, Jamie Dech will also have a jazz release. 2Fish is looking for a new release and we are looking to a fundraiser right now to finish that one. Bill Compeau, as you have just begun to hear on our playlist will be releasing material from up to 3 different projects all currently going through a wonderful mastering process that is one of Bill’s other gigs.
The Status of the Projects That Are Up Next.
1. The host of new projects listed above is now the first priority, pushing back the old priorities simply due to demand. So here is what you can expect to see on the website, which is still being completed at link. There is nothing there yet but it will be the media store for books, music and film. One Jamie Dech release, at least two Ian McGregor Smith releases, 4 2Fish releases, 2 Maxwell AU releases, 2 or 3 Bill Compeau Bands, 1 Danter release, 1 Tanzen, 2 Salt of the Chief Cornerstone releases, 3 Legion releases, 13 releases of various Jael incarnations (Lorne James, Jael, Preflyte, Jay and the Rubber Band and JL the Cool Jay) and 1 Lamenting Vinyl release. This roughly half of the artist configurations we might be able to release if all goes well. There is a lot of material still being discovered in old vaults from these existing listings so more albums might show up from all.
2. Playing for an Audience of One - Jael. So there is good news. We still need 6000.00 to make them both discs happen for mixing and mastering but we have an old friend willing to do the work and wait for the money. The recording has been finished for a while and so the excitement is high. As mentioned last time, we are still having some website issues. We are still on track with the production schedule. The new release date is still dependent on Patreon contributions and sales of Jael product specifically. The Teaze launch set us back a bit extending ourselves for Danter merch but committed funds are never co-mingled so when you give to a project, it goes to a project. The Patreon money is always non-committed to anything specific so it goes to these projects with the priorities that are transparent. We will use them for the Jael release once the websites are up and running. We are considering project specific crowdfunding platforms as well. That’s the way you will be able to pre-order the new one but the next newsletter.
3. Concert for Whale World - Jay and the Rubber Band - 2nd in the Children's album set similar to Dynamite the Dinosaur. Cover art done. Songs are written and demo’s done. This is an older album that was lost to a flood before it was released. Live videos of a few songs are floating around the web.
4. Where's Peter Duo EP. Jael with John Krasinkiewicz - 6 songs. This is still being written and we're no further along than we were last newsletter. 4 Songs have now been completed. John had more time with the Jael album done, but is now playing lead for yet another performing unit. We’ll see how this goes. It’s discouraging to see this being pushed down the list. All these guys need support and even a small monthly donation at Patreon helps a lot, for morale if not just the financial support.
5. Tanzen re-release of Piece by Peace album. An import has been licensed by us and re-released from Italy a couple of months ago, our domestic version will have some surprises and be slightly different but is being delayed while the import is hot in all markets.
6. Release of Legion's boxed set. 3 albums. with extra demos. Pre-orders will be available once the web is up again. Individual albums of course will still be orderable.
7. Jael's Boxed set - For the Record - 5 Discs. The target for release is post Where’s Peter.
8. For next year (2020) there will not be a new Danter release. The reason for the constant rethinking of this project has everything to do with the re-emergence of Teaze. So much is happening there that it’s almost a full-time job keeping up events as they unfold.
1. Teaze will reunite in Japan. This has gotten very complex. New offshoot projects, sponsors, and the need to build anticipation with international co-operation has pushed the actual projections for the peak event into the fall of 2019. In the meantime, there is a myriad of small events happening and we have a book to get out…
2. Jael’s World Missions Tour has been indefinitely postponed. He has recently lost his father and details concerning the estate and the marriage of his 5th daughter have definitely interfered with plans. He is working closely with several African artists in different countries to build a JLT Records presence there so that when the tour launch happens, it will include some wonderful business workshops as well a concert series. The African version of the Jael band is already bringing spin off projects.
3. Jael is currently booking solo gigs. The Jael Band is available, as is Danter who is also still rehearsing in spite of Teaze being together but availability is limited.
1. We are working on a Biography of Brian's story. This is now a high priority to complete. The target for 1st draft completion was mid March, but the show and many high level meetings got in the way. Can I whisper the word film documentary here? The new deadline is sort of “work really hard and see what deadline emerges.”
2. Jael will release a number of his Children's Picture Books and has 2 non-fiction, a novel and a poetry gift book in the works. Work on promoting those already out has to get better so please help spread the word. Look for Eight Keys to Lasting Success or for Dynamite the Dinosaur (The book…there is also a CD) if you want to check out what’s already out. Demand is growing and the websites will be out soon after the music ones are finished.
Crocodile Tears and has hit a small delay but we finally have all the picture revisions. Typesetting is next then publication. Find it soon by using Jael's pen name, Andrew Cody on Amazon.
3. Rachel Starr Thomson of Lamenting Vinyl is well established as an author and speaker. She has begun work on a new Christian Fantasy series (her 4th) and has finished the first book of the set. It's called Seeds. More about her and her work here. link Recently we were asked about Rachel’s latest book and when we started talking about Seeds, they seemed confused. They meant her latest non-fiction work which is called, Fearless (Free in Christ in an Age of Anxiety). Co-authored with her two ministry partners, It’s well worth checking out.
As you can see, we have our work cut out for us. In the meantime, we have to find time to eat and sleep, and the means to be able to do so. If this inspires you, go to Patreon and pledge. Check back often, we'll be updating regularly. We will reward you handsomely for being a more significant part of the team that will make this happen. We will be launching 2 more crowd funding projects on other sites if you’d rather pledge a one-time gift to make something specific happen. Details are coming in the next newsletter. Love you all.
Our Philosophy and How We Are Creating Value for You
Our goal is to give away all digital products we create and sell the stuff that's physical merchandise. To do this we need support. The older stuff that is under a contract, of course, we won't be able to make the same offer but starting with a few of my (Jael) older albums and the new projects, the digital copies of music will intentionally be given under a new license and they will be free.
My idea is that the music comes to me as a gift from God and you should pay more attention than money. I give it because people tell me that the joy, the encouragement, the praise, the lessons, the parables, the calls to action found in it have helped them in some way. It's a theme of my life. It's called ministry and I have been dubbed a parable singer by some who know me well. It's not all religious but it is all intended to honor the Creator God I serve. So thank Him if you like it.
Most of the product that is on N1M, you can buy on I-tunes or similar sites and once we get our own sites back up and running I'll be announcing the grand opening in this newsletter. The Africa Missions tour is partially enabled by pledges on this site and others. I need help getting Patreon started. Please consider supporting our mission on Patreon. Here's the link https://www.patreon.com/jael